Edgar acts as lead counsel in multifaceted Canadian and international transactions across a variety of industries, including energy and infrastructure, technology, financial services, manufacturing, real estate and automotive. Edgar has extensive experience in all aspects of corporate governance for businesses, non-profits and charities, including acting as corporate secretary and legal counsel to boards of directors, dealing with board protocols, and crafting and implementing executive compensation plans and agreements.
Edgar focuses on building long-term relationships with his clients by understanding their concerns, and giving practical and focused advice in a consistent and timely manner.
- Non-Profit and Charities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Finance
- Acted as counsel for Sustainalytics Holding B.V. with respect to the sale of a 40% stake to Morningstar, Inc.
- Acted as company and board counsel for COM DEV International Ltd., with respect to its $455 million acquisition by Honeywell International and the related spinoff of exactEarth Ltd.
- Advises the board of a large non-profit corporation involved in affordable residential real estate in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Acts for an aboriginal community with respect to green energy projects aggregating 100 MW, including dealing with investment structures, negotiating with partners and developers, and negotiating and closing non-recourse project financing.
- Acts as counsel for a global responsible investment research firm specializing in ESG research and analysis.
- Acted for shareholders of The Edge Benefits, with respect to the sale of a majority stake to Co-operators Life Insurance Company.
Edgar has extensive experience sitting on and advising boards. He currently sits on the board of a specialty insurance firm, and a Canadian subsidiary of an electronic gaming company. Edgar acted as counsel and corporate secretary to a public company board for 8 years. Edgar sat on the local board of Oikocredit for 16 years, including as Chair for 7 years. Oikocredit is a worldwide co-operative and social investor with over €1 billion in total assets, which invests in the microfinance sector, fair trade organizations, co-operatives, and small to medium sized enterprises.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
Edgar sat on the local board of Oikocredit for 16 years, including as Chair for 7 years. Oikocredit is based in The Netherlands and is the world’s largest privately capitalized development lender.