Evert is a partner of Gardiner Roberts. He has practiced exclusively in the area of civil litigation with the firm since 1982. He has been Managing Partner of the firm since 1998. Evert’s practice includes work at the trial and all appellate levels in most areas of commercial and insurance litigation.
He has successfully concluded many mediations and arbitrations, in addition to his trial work. Evert has acted for numerous corporate and individual clients involved in contract or shareholder disputes. He has acted for banks and the clients of banks with respect to claims involving breaches of fiduciary duty and the enforcement of creditors’ rights. He has acted for landlords and tenants in commercial tenancy disputes. He has represented lawyers and their insurers in solicitor’s negligence claims.
Many clients, including several public companies, rely on Evert’s advice with respect to employer and employee rights and obligations. He has handled many employment litigation matters, including a number before the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Employment law
- Commercial litigation
- Evert also has extensive experience acting in insurance matters including coverage issues, and property, disability and life insurance claims.
- Evert has acted on a number of multi-party disputes including claims by and against governments, for multiple franchisees and in class actions.
- Evert was successful in obtaining the largest known punitive damage award in Ontario against an individual following a lengthy trial.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Advocates’ Society
- Medico-Legal Society