Ian A. Blue, Q.C. is a senior counsel and advisor on energy and regulatory law, administrative-law, business-law and constitutional-law issues. He has appeared before all levels of courts in Ontario, Alberta, Nova Scotia and the Yukon and before both levels of the Federal Court. He also has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada. In addition, he has appeared numerous times before the National Energy Board, the Ontario Energy Board, the New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board, arbitration panels and many other regulatory bodies.
Articles and Presentations
Ian A. Blue is a prolific legal writer and speaker on practice and legal topics and is a contributor to various lawyers’ publications.
Mr. Blue has also assisted in drafting federal legislation and Ontario legislation. He is also the draftsman of the Gas Distribution Act, 1999, as well as regulations made under that act, for the Province of New Brunswick. His most recent Articles are:
- Beer Bust Case May Redefine National Trade - June 14, 2016
- The NSLC Monopoly - June 14, 2016
- Rescuing Canada's beer and wine from constitutional abuse - November 19, 2014
- Long Overdue: A Reappraisal of Section 121 of the Constitution Act, 1867 - September 23, 2011
Ian Blue’s Papers Underlying R. v. Comeau
- Long Overdue: A Reappraisal of Section 121 of the Constitution Act, 1867
- Free Trade within Canada: Say Goodbye to Gold Seal
- On the Rocks? Section 121 of the Constitution Act, 1867, and the Constitutionality of the Importation of Intoxicating Liquors Act
- On The Rocks; The Gold Seal Case: A Surprising Second Look
Papers by Others Commenting on R. v. Comeau
- Freeing the Beer and Fortifying the Economic Union – Lavoie
- Runnymede Society Discussion Panel, Speaking Notes – Marin
- Speaker at the Eighth Annual Seminar on Wine & Liquor Law
- Speaker at the Seventh Annual Seminar on Wine & Liquor Law
- Speaker at the Canadian Constitution Foundation 2016 Law & Freedom Conference: Beer Without Borders
- Panellist at the Canadian Constitution Foundation 2017 Law & Freedom Conference
Mr. Blue has been credited with having made a significant contribution to the legal profession as a Bar Admission Course Instructor, a convener of Continuing Legal Education Programs on Administrative Law and Practice, Head of the Practice Skills Program of the Bar Admission Course, a Bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada and as a past Chair of the Administrative Law and Environmental Law Sub-Sections of the Ontario Bar Association.
- Member of the LSUC, LSA
- Member of the American Association for Justice
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association and the Alberta Bar Association
Mr. Blue regularly acts for clients, pro bono in areas of his expertise.