Lad is the Co-Chair of our Health Law Group and provides legal assistance to health sector clients on a wide range of regulatory and administrative law matters, including regulatory college proceedings, privacy matters, retirement/long-term care home operations and matters before Health Canada and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Lad also has significant experience providing complex regulatory opinions regarding business initiatives in the health sector.
As an authority in the field of health law, Lad is frequently consulted to provide his opinion on legal developments in the health sector. In addition, he is a frequent author and speaker on various health law issues.
Lad is also recognized by "Best Lawyers in Canada" in the field of health law.
- Advising an association of pharmacists regarding their regulatory obligations flowing from the wind-down of large retail pharmacy chain
- Advising a health professional association regarding billing issues relating to their profession
- Preparing a Code of Conduct for an organization that manages a number of seniors’ homes
- Successfully representing a medical device manufacturer in a matter before Health Canada
- Preparing a Privacy Breach Protocol for a health sector organization
- Acting as Amicus Curiae counsel in a hearing before the Discipline Committee of a health professions college
Articles and Presentations
- The Protecting Patients Act, 2017 – The Essentials for Regulated Health Professionals - July 19, 2017
- Expansion of the CCO Public Register, ON Chiropractic - Spring 2017 - April 4, 2017
- The Privacy Breach Protocol: An Essential Tool for all Senior’s Homes - December 9, 2016
- The Expansion of the CPO Public Register – And What it Means for Physiotherapists - October 17, 2016
- The Expanding List of Concerns on the OCP Public Register – A Summary of Information to be Posted and What it Means for Pharmacists - September 7, 2016
- New Information to be Placed on CMTO Public Register – A Summary of the Changes and their Impact on RMTs - June 29, 2016
- Background Screening and Offence Declarations: An Overview For Retirement Home Operators - June 23, 2015
- Overview of RHPA Complaints Process - June 27, 2014
- Rent Control & Retirement Homes: Why Newer is Better - June 18, 2014
- Overview of RHRA Inspections - May 25, 2014
- Regulatory Changes Create New Fire Safety Requirements for Retirement Homes - January 14, 2014
- Retirement Homes Act, 2010: Final Phase of Implementation - December 19, 2013
- Retirement Homes Act, 2010: Implementation Schedule Released - May 25, 2012
- A New Era of Accountability for Hospitals and Physicians - The Impact of the Rosenhek v. Windsor Regional Hospital Decisions - May 23, 2010
- Medical Legal Issues Program (Seminar Leader), University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine – September 7, 2017, September 8, 2016, September 10, 2015 and September 5, 2013
- Changes to the CCO Public Register and Potential Implications for Chiropractors (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – April 19, 2017
- Examining the Risk of Harm Disclosure Exception, Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development Program: 2017 Legal Guide to Privacy & Information Management in Healthcare – April 10, 2017
- Regulation of Dental Hygienists in the Province of Ontario, Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries – February 21, 2017
- Overview of Health Law Issues – University of Waterloo, School of Optometry and Vision Science – January 20, 2017
- Overview of the Various Legislative and College Requirements Placed on Chiropractors in Ontario, (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – October 19, 2016.
- Overview of Health Professional Regulation, Health Privacy and Business Issues Relevant for New Dental Hygienists: Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries – May 17, 2016.
- Examining the Risk of Harm Disclosure Exception, Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development Program: 2016 Legal Guide to Privacy & Information Management in Healthcare – April 13, 2016.
- Overview of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – March 30, 2016
- Overview of the proposed Electronic Health Record under Bill 119 (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – March 1, 2016
- Regulation of Optometrists & Business Issues Relevant for New Graduates – University of Waterloo, School of Optometry and Vision Sciences – January 27, 2016
- Informed Consent (Seminar Leader), University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine – January 18, 2016
- Regulation of Massage Therapists, Canadian College of Massage and Hydrotherapy – November 25, 2015
- Responding to Complaints in Light of New Transparency Measures, Pot Pourri of Medico-Legal Cases, Medico Legal Society of Toronto – September 30, 2015
- Regulatory and Business Issues Affecting Dental Hygienists, Toronto College of Dental Hygiene & Auxiliaries – August 11, 2015 and November 11, 2014
- Participant in Roundtable Discussion re Changes to Sexual Abuse Provisions in the RHPA – May 12, 2015
- Regulation and Discipline in the Health Care Sector (Penalty Hearing & Appeals), Osgoode Professional Development Certificate Program – June 10, 2014
- Discipline Committee Demonstration, College of Massage Therapists of Ontario – April 4, 2014
- Implementation of the Retirement Homes Act, 2010, Gardiner Roberts Breakfast Seminar for Retirement Homes Operators – November 20, 2013
- Hospital Privileging and Physician Rights, Emergency Department Administration Conference – November 7-8, 2013
- Medical Legal Issues Program (Keynote Lecture), University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine – September 5, 2013
- Debate on Advertising Standards, College of Physiotherapists of Ontario – May 13, 2013
- Ruling Favours Protecting Safety of Women in Sexual Misconduct Allegations, Canadian Lawyer and Law Times – April 26, 2016
- Nurses Win Dispute Over Vaccinate-or-Mask Policy, Canadian Lawyer – September 21, 2015
- Canadian Medical Schools Shed U.S. Review, Lawyers Weekly – July 13, 2015
- Hospital Class Action Informed by Intrusion Upon Seclusion Case, Canadian Lawyer – July 4, 2014
Recognition & Rankings
- Best Lawyers in Canada, (Health Care Law), since 2017
- Ontario Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Ontario Retirement Communities Association
- Commissioner, Toronto Lawyers’ Touch Football League