Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as an expert in Corporate Commercial Law, in addition to profound mainstream commercial law experience, Robert has acted as lead counsel in numerous complex investment arrangements and large scale, structured projects including those in the real estate, energy, tech and nursing and retirement home industries.
- Energy/Infrastructure – Structuring of a large solar energy project comprising numerous commercial properties and locations in Canada. Negotiating and implementing all associated contracts. Participants included a multi-billion dollar publically listed infrastructure company, private equity funds and venture founders. Key contracts included a comprehensive shareholder agreement with all stakeholders, multi-stage financing arrangements, site-licences, construction contracts, master leases and supply contracts. Ancillary transactions included licensing applications to energy regulators to allow construction, production and integration into the grid by the power facilities.
- Funds – Robert has overseen the establishment of private international funds serving as conduits for large acquisition and financing projects in Canada. Related mandates include multi-jurisdictional tax planning (involving both Caribbean and European tax treaty nations) to facilitate efficient feeder structures and advantageous profit repatriation strategies.
- Financing – Robert has negotiated and participated in private and public financings including private placements, venture capital, standard and convertible debt, mezzanine and asset backed transactions. These financings have included international funds and active consideration of related trans-national money clearance issues under local investment restrictions and money laundering regulations.
- Constituting and Governing Documents – Robert's expertise includes practical resolution of core governance, contribution and profit participation issues required in foundational documents such as shareholder agreements and associated structures and share rights.
- M&A – Robert has dealt with acquisitions and divestitures in numerous industries including nursing and retirement homes, high-tech, defence, real estate (various sectors including hospitality, multi-residential and commercial), forestry, metals, property management, employment/recruitment, travel, insurance, accounting, mining, chemicals, light and heavy manufacturing, plastics, storage, architecture, land development, furniture, food and beverages and publishing.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- Association des juristes d'expression française de l'Ontario
Beyond the Office
Robert haunts all off-beat bookstores seeking obscure roman noirs and vintage science fiction. Other obsessions include finding the best burger in the known universe.