Heather Zordel is a partner in the Securities Group at Gardiner Roberts, focusing on corporate finance and securities regulatory compliance. She brings structured products to market and works with investment funds. She lists companies on the TSX and TSXV and assists public companies in complying with stock exchange and securities commission requirements.
In addition to her law practice, Heather is the Co-Director and a Course Director for the Osgoode Hall LL.M program in securities law and also teaches in legal professional development programs. Her career has included a number of years working for the TSX. Heather was also a contributing author in the Carswell book "Corporate Finance for Canadian Executives." Heather has served on the board of a crown corporation and several private corporations. Currently, she is a board and Audit Committee member of Toronto Hydro Corporation.
Heather was appointed by the Federal Minister of Finance to the Expert Panel on Securities Regulation tasked with providing advice on the best way forward to improve securities regulation in Canada. The Expert Panel tabled a report and a model federal securities act in January 2009, with recommendations the federal government and a number of provincial governments are pursuing through the Capital Market Regulatory Authority. She is a past chair of the Securities Advisory Committee, which provides advice to the Ontario Securities Commission on legislative and policy initiatives and capital markets trends.
- Corporate finance for non-listed, junior and senior companies in various sectors
- Prospectus offerings under short, long, shelf and MJDS forms – domestic and cross-border
- Prospectus offerings of flow-through investment funds.
- Restructuring corporations and M&A work, including OSC/IIROC compliance
- Legal counsel for independent review committee for investment funds
- Issuer’s counsel for listing migration from TSXV to TSX
- External general counsel work for public and private companies
Articles and Presentations
- Co-Director and Adjunct Professor, LL.M. (Securities Law) Program, Osgoode Hall Law School, under various titles from 2000 to present
- Co-Chair, Intensive Course in Securities Regulation, Osgoode PDP, 2008 to present
- Panellist for the Annotated Partnership Agreement 2015, Law Society of Upper Canada, Sept 2015
- Freedom of Choice With Your Condo's TV and Internet Services - December 6, 2017
- Condominium Power Grab: Blurring Personal Choice Line - February 10, 2017
- Securities Distributions Outside of Canada. A Summary of the OSC's Proposed Rule 72-503 - July 28, 2016
- Board of Directors and Audit Committee Member, Toronto Hydro Corporation (former interim audit committee chair) – December 2015 to present
- Board of Directors and Chair, Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited – December 2015 to present, Chair effective December 2016
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 (Corporate Finance and Securities)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2014–2016 (Corporate Mid-Market)
- Ranked as a leading lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
- Women in Capital Markets
- Toronto Board of Trade
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association – Member of the Policy and Public Affairs Committee
- Toronto Lawyers Association
Pro Bono / Community
- Board Member and Past President – MTCC 949 Condominium Corporation (77-99 Harbour Square, Toronto), 2003 to 2014; President in 2013
- Chair of Ontario Securities Commission Securities Advisory Committee, January 2011 to January 2014
- Candidate for LSUC Bencher Election 2015 – placed 23rd in Toronto Region (top 21 were elected)
- 68 Red Cross Blood Donations