Jim is a member of the Non-Profit and Charities and the Tax and Estate Planning Groups. He has extensive experience advising clients on personal tax, corporate tax, estate planning, wills and trusts, estate administration and charities and not-for-profit organizations, including planning for charitable donations.
He assists clients in resolving complex disputes with tax authorities at both the federal and provincial levels. On behalf of the CBA, Jim has prepared numerous submissions to the federal government on issues relating to charities and has appeared before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance.
Jim is the former contributing editor of International Tax Planning, has written numerous articles for the Philanthropist and writes annually on charities and taxation in the Canadian Donor’s Guide. He has also spoken and written extensively on matters relating to taxation, estate planning, charities and other not-for-profit organizations and charitable giving and is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Articles and Presentations
- Highlights of Recent Developments in Non-Profit and Charities - September 20, 2018
- Charitable Giving Planning Considerations for Canadian Residents - December 7, 2016
- Charitable Giving and Charities as Tax and Estate Planning Tools - September 16, 2016
- Ontario Postpones implementation of new Not-for-Profit Corporations Act - September 22, 2015
- Now in Effect: Amendments to Ontario Charities and Not-For-Profit Laws - December 19, 2017
- Ontario Announces Changes Dealing With Not-For-Profit Corporations - September 25, 2017
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2004-2016 (Charities/Not-for-Profit Law)
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2006-2019 (Trusts and Estates)
- AMS/John Hodgson Award from the Charity and Not-for-Profit Law Section of the OBA
- Canadian Bar Association (National Charities and Not-for-Profit Law Section)
- Ontario Bar Association (Taxation, Charity and Not-for-Profit Law and Trusts and Estates Sections)
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Estate Planning Council of Toronto
- International Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- American Bar Association
- Dean’s Advisory Council in the Faculty of Law at Queen’s University
- Inaugural and past Chair of the Gift Planning Advisory Committee at Queen’s University