Gordon Hearn represents international and domestic interests involved in the transportation, supply chain and distribution of goods in litigation, regulatory and contractual matters.
He advises shippers, receivers, carriers, logistics providers (3PL’s, supply chain and “fulfillment” providers, freight forwarders, load brokers, customs brokers and warehousemen) and their insurers on their legal interest and exposure in the international, cross-border and domestic carriage of goods by all modes of carriage.
Gordon provides advice and representation in the following areas:
- Litigation: Cross-Border and Domestic Commercial Litigation, Cargo Claims, Products Liability, Insurance and Casualty Claims
- Contracts: Drafting and Negotiation
- Insurance: Coverage and Related Issues
- Regulatory Compliance: Operational and Licensing Issues
- Sale of Goods (Domestic and International)
- Multi-Modal (ocean, air, rail + road) and Inter-modal (rail + road) carriage
Gordon is a Past President of the Transportation Lawyers Association, an independent, international bar association whose members assist providers and commercial users of transportation and logistics services.
Gordon is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars throughout North America on the above matters. Gordon has authored numerous related papers and articles.
- Gordon has represented manufacturing, consumer products, agri-business and pharmaceutical “Fortune 500” companies in the preparation of and implementation of international and domestic supply chain agreements
- Gordon has been successful in the enforcement of contractual limitations of liability in favor of carrier clients involving transit losses such as those of high value artwork, the shipment of manufacturing plant components and precious metals
- Gordon successfully defended a warehouse operation wrongly implicated with the systemic pilferage of cargo over years of operation
- Gordon has successfully represented manufacturing and agri-business interests in disputes with rail and ocean carriers over service levels and the assessment of detention, demurrage and accessorial charges
- Gordon has assisted numerous clients in the preparation of and implementation of website based transport and service trading conditions
Articles and Presentations
- Innovating Your Freight Brokerage Against Potential Risk – Presentation to the Transportation Intermediaries Association Capital Ideas Conference, April 2022
- A Moveable Feast: A Cookbook for Cross-Border Claims Involving Cuisine Article published The Transportation Lawyer, April 2022
- Doing Business in Canada: Freight Broker Framework – Industry “white paper” sponsored by the Transportation Freight Intermediaries Association and Canadian International Freight Forwarders Association, April, 2021
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review: AV “Preeminent”
- Chambers Global – (Transportation Law)
- The Legal 500TM Canada – “Leading Lawyer” (Road and Rail)
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Transportation Law)
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Maritime Law)
- Who’s Who Legal Canada (Shipping Law)
- Lexpert Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada
- Lexpert (Road and Rail) – “Most Frequently Recommended”
- Lexpert (Shipping and Maritime Law) – “Repeatedly Recommended”
- Doyles Guide – Leading Transport Lawyers – Canada: Preeminent
- Best Lawyers in Canada Transportation Law Lawyer of the Year – Toronto (2015, 2021)
- Best Lawyers in Canada Maritime Law Lawyer of the Year – Toronto (2013)