Arlene has developed a broad range of expertise in the areas of corporate and commercial law, with a strong focus on merger and acquisition transactions, corporate governance and corporate finance. Arlene works extensively with technology based companies and assets including software, media and green technology. While Arlene maintains a mix of practice areas in commercial law, she has focused her practice on mergers and acquisitions and technology law.
Arlene is a frequent speaker and organizer of a broad range of corporate law programs held by Ontario Bar Association Business Law Section, Canadian Bar Association as well as other private equity events. Arlene is very involved in working with technology based and innovative businesses grow their business and provide sound legal advice to assist them to grow smart. From the drafting of letters on intent, through the negotiation of the merger or purchase and sale agreement and the conduct of due diligence investigations, to the closing of the transaction, Arlene applies her energy and experience. At all times, she is able to call upon her familiarity with her tax law and technology law background.
- Business and Corporate Commercial
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Represented the buyers in a merger and acquisition transaction involving the purchase of a large carpet and tile supply and installation partnership with combined annual revenue of approximately $100 million.
- Represented a water infrastructure business in its acquisition of a water services business to expand its European operations.
- Represented one party in structuring a joint venture arrangement in the mobile payments platform area in connection with a response to an RFP.
- Representing a client in various financing transactions, both short and long‑term in the solar power space.
Articles and Presentations
- Directors' Duties to the Corporation: Focus on Dual Loyalty - November 12, 2015
- Asset Acquisitions in Ontario - September 26, 2011
- Employment Contract Provisions - Protect Your Organization - April 1, 2010
- National Business Law Conference Panelist on the topic of: Earn Outs: a Tool to Bridge the Value Gap or a Trap for the Unwary hosted by the CBA – Nov 2017
- Speaker at the 5th Annual Professionalism Issues for Business Lawyers hosted by the OBA – Oct 2017
- Subject Matter Expert for the Business Law Program at Ryerson LPP, 2014-2017
- Chair, Business Law Summit 2015, Shaping the Agenda for Reform, OBA, Oct 2015
- Chair of Various Programs for Ontario Bar Association relating to Business Law Matters
- Speaker, Legal Strategies for Building Corporate Value and Protecting Innovation Canadian Innovation Exchange (CIX), Nov 2014
- Assets Acquisitions in Ontario: Buying Liability in Bulk
- Member of Ontario’s Business Law Advisory Council – Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, 2016, 2017
- Chair of the Not-for Profit Working Group – Ontario’s Business Law Advisory Council
- Board member of Canada’s National Ballet School Foundation
- Board member of Hot Docs (honourary)
- Canadian Women’s Foundation – Toronto Breakfast Committee Deputy Chair, 2000-2015
- CIX Advisory Committee, 2015
- Chair of the Corporate Law Subcommittee – OBA Business Law Section
- A past Chair of the Ontario Bar Association – Business Law Section
- Ontario Bar Association, Business Law
- Canadian Venture Capital Association
- Ryerson Law Practice Program – Business Law – Subject Matter Expert
- Canada’s National Ballet School Foundation
- Canadian Women’s Foundation