Kathleen Skerrett has been practicing law for 25 years and advises clients on all aspects of and compliance with corporate and securities laws, including structuring of financing transactions and structuring mergers and acquisitions with both Canadian and international companies as well as advising on continuous disclosure obligations. She regularly acts on public offerings, private placements of debt and equity, merger and reverse takeover transactions, restructuring transactions and corporate governance. Kathleen is currently co-chair of the Securities Law Sub-Committee of the Ontario Bar Association.
While focused on advising public companies and companies seeking to go public, she also provides advice on a variety of corporate matters to private companies. She also regularly advises clients on director and officer insurance matters.
Kathleen has a broad breadth of industry experience including advising clients in the manufacturing, technology, financial and health and wellness sectors. In particular, she has developed a strong practice in the resource sector with expertise in both structuring mining related contracts and advising on additional public company compliance matters.
- Advised on a sale of a Canadian TSX listed company to a large US multinational in a transaction that included the spinning out of a majority controlled subsidiary into a new TSX listed vehicle.
- Advised on a restructuring transaction of a public company that involved spinning out historical assets as well as introducing new assets and completing a listing on a Canadian stock exchange.
- Advised on the going public process for a new technology company.
- Advised client on Canadian elements of an contested shareholder meeting involving an issuer listed in multiple jurisdictions.
Articles and Presentations
- Contributing to Nathan and Voore’s Corporate Meetings – Law and Practice on a regular basis
- Contributed to Nathan’s Company Meetings – 10th edition
- Presented at OBA’s Quebec Ontario Business Law Summit on corporate governance in May of 2015
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Beyond the Office
Kathleen enjoys spending her free time exploring the world’s oceans as a passionate scuba diver. She is also an avid tennis player and enjoys nothing more than relaxing with family on Lake of Bays.