Richard is a member of the Commercial Business Practices Group as well as the Real Estate Group of the Firm and has 35 years of extensive experience in business and corporate/commercial law transactions across a wide spectrum of industries, including providing clients with strategic, legal and risk management advice/suggestions.
Richard also acts as lead counsel in numerous complex structured business projects including those in the real estate, construction, energy, food service, horticulture, employment recruitment and IT industries.
Richard’s clients can rely upon his providing excellent service in a focused and timely (including time-sensitive and time-critical) manner.
Richard’s clients range from small and medium-sized to very large-sized family‑owned or otherwise closely‑held businesses to international corporations, as well as public‑private joint‑ventures, banks, pension funds and other institutional entities. He also advises on litigation matters and Wills/Estates matters, as well as a wide range of other personal, strategic client‑priority matters.
- Legal counsel to several large real estate developers (residential, commercial, office and industrial)
- All aspects of construction (public and private commercial, industrial and institutional construction projects, public-private partnerships, and project finance), including project development and financing, drafting of construction contracts, insurance, risk management and dispute resolution
- Corporate reorganizations
- Project financings, including for large energy projects
- Strategic corporate acquisitions and divestitures, including those involving real estate
- Complex shareholder disputes
- Has acted for several prominent wealthy families in resolving strategic business conflicts
Articles and Presentations
- Seminar Leader, Toronto Board of Trade: Navigating Shareholder and Partnership
Agreements: Avoiding Multi-generational and Other Traps Involving Power, Ownership and Control.
- Seminar Leader, Toronto Board of Trade: Dealing effectively with the often intersectional conflicting elements of Power, Ownership and Control within a closely‑held business.
- Lecturer, Real Property Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario).
- Member of Advisory Board, Canadian Bar Association, New Initiatives
- Member of Advisory Board, Canadian Olympic Excellence Fund
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Certificate in Construction Law - 2019
Beyond the Office
Avid adventure traveller including cycling from Munich to Venice and from Marrakesh to the Sahara Desert.