Scott is a partner with Gardiner Roberts and member of the Dispute Resolution Group. Scott joined the firm as an associate in 2009 and also summered and articled with Gardiner Roberts prior to that time. Although Scott conducts a general corporate/ commercial litigation practice, he is most often involved with banking and brokerage disputes, fraud cases involving complex injunctions and interlocutory motions, as well as professional liability matters involving investment advisors and lawyers. Scott’s practical, creative and proportional approach to litigation has served his clients well and generated excellent results. Recently, Scott successfully defended one of Canada’s largest banks and brokerages in a Superior Court of Justice trial involving an investment product that had previously never been the subject of litigation in Ontario. He also acts as a prosecutor for various Conservation Authorities regarding the prosecution of offences under the Conservation Authorities Act in the Ontario Court of Justice.
Scott appears regularly as counsel in the Superior Court of Justice and has also appeared as counsel before the Divisional Court and Court of Appeal for Ontario.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Corporate, Commercial, Professional Liability
- Acting for a professional liability insurer in a wide range of matters involving lawyers.
- Acting for various medium and large banks and brokerage firms in connection with a variety of securities related and commercial litigation matters.
- Acting for a provincial deposit insurer in the liquidation of various Credit Unions and associated recovery efforts.
- Acting as a special prosecutor for regional Conservation Authorities in connection with the prosecution of various offences under the Conservation Authorities Act.
Articles and Presentations
- Bank not responsible for fraudulent instructions delivered via customer’s email account – May 12, 2017
- Social Media and Defamation, Gardiner Roberts 2nd Annual Continuing Professional Development Event
- Dismissal of abusive proceeding upheld; Home buyer who got more land than he bargained for not entitled to damages for lost secondary transactions - 4/2/2019
- The Unforgiving Forgivable Loan - 9/21/2018
- An Online Date to Forget - 10/31/2017
- Bank not responsible for fraudulent instructions delivered via customer’s email account - 5/12/2017
- Need an Uber? Yes - to the Netherlands - March 21, 2018
- The Supreme Court of Canada Strengthens the Judgment Creditor Tool Box - May 24, 2017
- Summer Travels Outside Of Canada? Be Aware - August 4, 2016
- Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40, (2019)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers To Watch: Litigation – Corporate Commercial, (2018)
- Member, Ontario Bar Association (Civil Litigation and Entertainment Law Sections)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Toronto Lawyers Association
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
Beyond the Office
When not in the office, Scott enjoys spending time with his wife and kids exploring the country side and relaxing at the cottage. Scott can also be found on the golf course, ski hills or various whitewater rivers throughout Eastern Canada.
Scott also has a keen interest in film and recently co-produced an award winning feature film that was shown at film festivals around the world