Bill's practice covers a broad range of tax, estate planning and business law matters. With a master's degree in taxation law, being a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and numerous years counseling entrepreneurial business owners, Bill provides his clients and their accountants with expert, practical advice.
Bill advises many of his own clients with the start-up, growth and reorganization of their companies making use of tax minimization strategies. He is also called in to assist other lawyers when a transaction requires tax input. His careful planning and attention to detail are invaluable in complex matters.
Bill also helps clients organize their affairs with comprehensive estate planning coordination. This often involves family trusts and plans for the continuation of a family business in addition to wills and powers of attorney.
Bill has lectured and written for the Ontario Institute of Chartered Accountants and the Ontario Bar Association. Bill has been an instructor at the Ontario Bar Admission Course in the areas of taxation and estate planning. Bill has been a member of the Executive of the Tax section of the Ontario Bar Association.
- Planning in connection with a number of situations where a Family Trust was approaching the deemed disposition for income tax purposes arising on the 21st anniversary of its settlement.
- Dealing with Canada Revenue Agency in various situations of a Family Trust being audited or reassessed.
- Preparing Shareholders’ Agreements for family-owned corporations.
- Dealing with tax and estate planning issues for U.S. citizens resident in Canada.
- Preparing marriage contracts to protect interests in family-owned corporations and trusts
Articles and Presentations
- Effectively Dealing with the 21-Year Deemed Disposition Rule for Trusts, GTA Accountant Network and GTA Finance Network – January 23, 2019
- Update: Planning For Trusts Faced With The 21-Year Deemed Disposition Rule - 5/17/2018
- Private Company Income Splitting - 9/14/2017
- Update on Recent Corporate Tax Changes and Planning Opportunities - 3/3/2016
- Planning For Trusts Faced with the 21-Year Deemed Disposition Rule - 12/12/2014
- Tax Advantages of Physician Professional Corporations - 5/24/2007
- COVID-19 Provides Rare Opportunity for an Estate Freeze - April 13, 2020
- Ontario Bar Association - Taxation and Trusts sections
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- International Fiscal Association
- Law Society of Ontario
Beyond the Office
Bill enjoys various athletic pursuits, including downhill skiing, hiking, cycling and running. Bill and his wife try to broaden their horizons by visiting exotic locations. Bill is fortunate to have his two adult children living in Toronto, which allows for regular visits.