Lad is certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Health Law and provides advice and representation to health sector clients on a wide range of regulatory matters.
A key aspect of Lad’s practice involves assisting all types of regulated health professionals* in proceedings before their regulatory colleges, including registration, complaints, investigations, discipline and reviews/appeals.
Lad also advises retirement home and long-term care home licensees regarding all aspects of their operations, including the preparation of policies and procedures; resolving issues with residents; and ensuring compliance with the requirements of applicable legislation and the rules established by their regulators.
As part of his practice, Lad also possesses significant experience assisting health sector clients with health privacy matters, including meeting the requirements of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) and constantly evolving privacy standards.
As an authority in the field of health law, Lad is a frequent commentator, author and speaker on a variety of health law topics, including new legislation and other legal developments in the health sector.
Lad is also recognized by "Best Lawyers in Canada" in the field of Health Law.
*The following are some of the regulated health professionals that Lad represents:
- dental hygienists
- massage therapists
- naturopathic doctors
- traditional Chinese medicine practitioners
Lad also assists a number of other regulated professionals, including architects, engineers, lawyers and early childhood educators, in matters before their regulatory bodies.
- Advising an association of pharmacists regarding their legal and professional obligations flowing from the wind-down of retail pharmacy chain
- Advising a health professional association regarding billing issues applicable to members of their profession
- Preparing a Code of Conduct for a licensee that operates retirement homes and long-term care homes
- Successfully representing a medical device manufacturer in a matter before Health Canada
- Preparing a Privacy Breach Protocol for a health sector organization
- Acting as Amicus Curiae counsel in a Discipline Committee hearing at a health professions college
Articles and Presentations
- Full Names of Parties Now Published in HPARB Complaint Review Decisions, Ontario Bar Association: Section Insider – May 2021
- Enhancing Your Skills and Strategy for Appearances Before the Health Professionals Appeal and Review Board, OBA Health Law Program (Webinar) – March 10, 2021
- Client Health Records: A Primer for Registered Massage Therapists (Webinar), Registered Massage Therapists Association of Ontario – May 7, 2019
- Informed Consent (Seminar Leader), University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine – January 26, 2018 and January 18, 2016
- Advocacy Before the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (Panel Member), Advocates’ Society Program: Health Law Litigation – November 13, 2017
- Medical Legal Issues Program (Seminar Leader), University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine – September 7, 2017, September 8, 2016, September 10, 2015 and September 5, 2013
- Changes to the CCO Public Register and Potential Implications for Chiropractors (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – April 19, 2017
- Examining the Risk of Harm Disclosure Exception, Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development Program: 2017 Legal Guide to Privacy & Information Management in Healthcare – April 10, 2017
- Regulation of Dental Hygienists in the Province of Ontario, Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries – February 21, 2017
- Overview of Health Law Issues – University of Waterloo, School of Optometry and Vision Science – January 20, 2017
- Overview of the Various Legislative and College Requirements Placed on Chiropractors in Ontario, (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – October 19, 2016.
- Overview of Health Professional Regulation, Health Privacy and Business Issues Relevant for New Dental Hygienists: Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries – May 17, 2016.
- Examining the Risk of Harm Disclosure Exception, Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development Program: 2016 Legal Guide to Privacy & Information Management in Healthcare – April 13, 2016.
- Overview of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – March 30, 2016
- Overview of the proposed Electronic Health Record under Bill 119 (Webinar), Ontario Chiropractic Association – March 1, 2016
- Regulation of Optometrists & Business Issues Relevant for New Graduates – University of Waterloo, School of Optometry and Vision Sciences – January 27, 2016
- Regulation of Massage Therapists, Canadian College of Massage and Hydrotherapy – November 25, 2015
- Responding to Complaints in Light of New Transparency Measures, Pot Pourri of Medico-Legal Cases, Medico Legal Society of Toronto – September 30, 2015
- Regulatory and Business Issues Affecting Dental Hygienists, Toronto College of Dental Hygiene & Auxiliaries – August 11, 2015 and November 11, 2014
- Participant in Roundtable Discussion re Changes to Sexual Abuse Provisions in the RHPA – May 12, 2015
- Regulation and Discipline in the Health Care Sector (Penalty Hearing & Appeals), Osgoode Professional Development Certificate Program – June 10, 2014
- Discipline Committee Demonstration, College of Massage Therapists of Ontario – April 4, 2014
- Implementation of the Retirement Homes Act, 2010, Gardiner Roberts Breakfast Seminar for Retirement Homes Operators – November 20, 2013
- Hospital Privileging and Physician Rights, Emergency Department Administration Conference – November 7-8, 2013
- Medical Legal Issues Program (Keynote Lecture), University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine – September 5, 2013
- Debate on Advertising Standards, College of Physiotherapists of Ontario – May 13, 2013
- Ontario proposes COVID-19 liability protection for those who made ‘good faith effort’ to follow law – October 23, 2020
- Vaccinate or Mask Policy Struck Down by Ontario Arbitrator, Canadian HR Reporter Weekly – October 24, 2018
- Be Ever Vigilant – Massage Therapy Canada – Summer 2018
- Ruling Favours Protecting Safety of Women in Sexual Misconduct Allegations, Canadian Lawyer and Law Times – April 26, 2016
- Nurses Win Dispute Over Vaccinate-or-Mask Policy, Canadian Lawyer – September 21, 2015
- Canadian Medical Schools Shed U.S. Review, Lawyers Weekly – July 13, 2015
- Hospital Class Action Informed by Intrusion Upon Seclusion Case, Canadian Lawyer – July 4, 2014
- Responding to Complaints Before the College of Veterinarians of Ontario (CVO): A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - January 22, 2020
- Responding to Complaints Before the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO): A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - October 23, 2019
- Responding to Complaints Before the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - October 3, 2019
- Responding to Complaints Before the College of Optometrists of Ontario A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - September 17, 2019
- How the Identities of Health Professionals are Revealed in HPARB Complaint Review Decisions - September 10, 2019
- Responding to Complaints Before the College of Psychologists of Ontario A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - September 4, 2019
- Responding to Complaints Before the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario: A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - August 26, 2019
- Responding to Complaints Before the Ontario College of Pharmacists: A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - August 21, 2019
- Discipline Matters Before the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario (CDHO): A Defence Lawyer’s Perspective - August 13, 2019
- The New FSRA and its Potential Impact on Licensed Service Providers in the Health Care Sector - July 22, 2019
- CPSO Commences Investigations Into Physicians Prescribing High Doses of Opioids - November 29, 2016
- Ontario to Stop Paying for High-Dose Opioids - July 27, 2016
Recognition & Rankings
- Certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Health Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, (Health Care Law) – 2017-2021
- Ontario Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Ontario Retirement Communities Association
- Commissioner, Toronto Lawyers’ Touch Football League